* Panorama India will hold its Annual General Body Meeting at 7 p.m. on December 7, 2005 in the Consulate Hall, Consulate General of India. For details, please call Mehroo Chothia at 416-471-4269 or Ratna Viswanadha at 416-844-1482.
* The Fourth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be celebrated in Hyderabad, India from January 7-9, 2006. For details, please contact the closest Indian Mission or visit www.pbd2006.org.
* Subsequent to the announcement at the first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in 2003, the Citizenship Act 1955 was amended to create a new category of overseas citizens of India. Definitions and procedural details to register as “Persons of Indian Origin” were developed and notified in December 2004.
At the third Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in 2005, it was announced that further actions would be taken to facilitate dual citizenship. The Parliament of India has now passed “The Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2005” to grant “Overseas Citizenship of India”. For details with respect to eligibility, application procedures, etc., please contact the closest Indian Mission.
* The “Ministry of Non-Resident Indians’ Affairs” was created vide a notification dated May 27, 2004 issued by the President of India. It was renamed the “Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs” (MOIA) on September 3, 2004. This independent Ministry was set up to address various concerns of the Indian Diaspora and to obviate the need for them to deal with a multiplicity of organizations and departments in their interaction with India. For details with respect to services provided by this Ministry, please contact the closest Indian Mission or call us at 416-725-0909.
* The Consulate General of India, Toronto has started receiving applications for visas and life certificates every Tuesday at Terry Miller Recreation Centre, 1295 Williams Parkway, Brampton, Ontario. Starting January 3, 2006, they will be expanding their services. For more details, please call them at 416-960-0751.
* The Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce is pleased to present a workshop – Going Global : An Introduction to International Trade – as a part of its second “Wednesday of the Month series”. For details and reservations, please call 416-224-0090. Please contact Chand Kuppuswamy at 905-270-8750, if you are interested in investment in India, trade between Canada and India, or information about ICCC team to Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - 2006.
* The Canadian Association of Physicians of Indian Heritage (CAPIH) and the American Association of Physicians from India (AAPI) have organized their first joint meeting from April 28 to April 30, 2006 in Toronto, Ontario. For more details, please call us at 416-725-0909.
* United Hindu Congress Canada invites you to participate in their activities. For details, please call Mr. Vinod V. Sharma at 416-789-7077.