Humanitarian & Philanthropic Activities & Projects
* Milliken Mill Lions Club, Markham, is assisting Nanan in his campaign to raise funds for saving his brother Summetís life. Sumeet, aged 21 years, is suffering from the deadly disease of White Blood Cancer. For donations and details, please contact Dr. T. P. Singh at 416-297-9570 or at TOCHI53@hotmail.com.
did make to Canada for treatment at the
Princess Margaret Hospital. A number of charitable groups, individuals, and
Lions gave generous support. Unfortunately, Sumeet passed away on Jan 12, 2002.
Our sincere condolences to his family.
* The International Art of Living Foundation has adopted 26 villages in Gujarat under the 5H program, and funds are urgently needed for this effort. One hundred schools are being built, as well as an orphanage. Homes are being constructed for homeless villagers, and the communities restored. The preliminary estimate for this project is about $18 million (Can.). All the funds raised from the North American concert series will go towards implementing 5H projects in these 26 villages. A concert by Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia (Flute) with Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri (Tabla) is being organized at the Convocation Hall, University of Toronto on Saturday, August 11, 2001 at 7:30 P.M. Admission for this concert is by tickets at $ 30, $35, and $50 per person. For information and tickets, contact Tel: 1-866-287-9378 or 905-785-2583, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, For online tickets go to www.5h.org. For more information, call Subashish Ojha at 905-785-8264 or click "India Day 2001" on the left panel..
* GUJARAT EARTHQUAKE RELIEF ACTIVITIES - Please click February 2001 below.
* Please lend a helping hand to over five crore Indians suffering from draught. For an appeal by Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister of India, please call Consulate General of India, Toronto at 416-960-0751 or click "Special Bulletins" on the left panel.
* Please help save Arjun Dhar. For an appeal by his father, Sanjay Dhar from Chicago, U.S.A., please click "Special Bulletins" on the left panel.
* For an article we received from the Indian Investment Centre, New Delhi - titled "Model NRI rebuilds Village in Andhra Pradesh", please click "Planning for Future" on the left panel and look under "Happiness".
* For an article we received from the Indian Investment Centre, New Delhi - titled "Couple toils in US to provide Free Education for Girls Back Home - School runs on Cabbie's Sweat" please click "Planning for Future" on the left panel and look under "Happiness".
*Girard Liberty Rotary Club, Ohio, USA raised US$ 60,000 and handed over to Rotary Club of Godhra, Gujarat, India towards the purchase of modern equipment for an Eye Clinic. For details, please call Raxit Shah at 330-759-3180 ext. 159 or Ketki Shah at 330-544-7998 or click "Community News" on the left panel.
*Muni Seva Ashram set up by Sri Anuben Thakkar near Vadodara, India is supported by many NRIs around the world. For details, please call Gitu Parikh at 905-887-1931 or click "Community News" on the left panel.
*Alok Mukherjee is one of the ten recipients of the Friends of L. Ron Hubbard Humanitarian Awards. For details, please call Janet Laveau, President of Church of Scientology at 416-922-0310 or click "Community News" on the left panel.